Very High-strain rate module, actuating 1-axis, sensing 1-axis, controlled strain rate up to 1’000 s-1 or higher
The VHS-1-1 can reach a controlled constant strain rate of 1’000 s-1 calculated for a 10 µm micro-pillar. In the case of indentation, the strain rate can be even higher (typical values are 7’000 s-1 at 100 nm depth and 2’000 s-1 at 350 nm depth).
The VHS-1-1 is also used for impact testing or fatigue testing up to a frequency of 10kHz.
The VHS-1-1 consists of:
- A 1-axis piezotransducer (SmarTip sensor) operating as load sensor with very large bandwidth (from a few Hz to 10 kHz, 30 µN RMS noise, 1 N force range. The SmarTip sensor replaces the standard loadcell, it can be placed on the tip side or on the sample side;
- A 1-axis SmarTip electronics box (pre-amplifier);
- Very high performance multifunction I/O boards (up to 1M samples/s for load measurement);
- All mounts, flanges, cables and connectors (Lemo type, high vacuum compatible) for in SEM and in air operation;
- Software modules for signal generation and force measurements.