Ultra High-strain rate module, actuating 1-axis, sensing 3-axis, controlled strain rate up to 10’000 s-1 or higher:
The UHS-1-3, can reach the unique performances of controlled constant strain rate of 10’000 s-1 calculated for a 10 µm micro-pillar. In the case of indentation, the strain rate can be even higher (typical values are 70’000 s-1 at 100 nm depth and 20’000 s-1 at 350 nm depth).
The UHS-1-3 is also used for impact testing or fatigue testing up to a frequency of 10kHz. In this case, the SmarTip actuator and the piezostack actuator can be activated simultaneously, for example to apply a pre-strain superimposed with a fast-varying oscillation for fatigue testing.
In comparison with the UHS-1-1, the UHS-1-3 also allows the measurement of lateral forces.
The UHS-1-3 consists of:
- A 1-axis piezotransducer (SmarTip actuator) to generate ultra-fast displacements over a range of more than 800 nm;
- A second 3-axis piezotransducer (SmarTip sensor) operating as load sensor with very large bandwidth (from a few Hz to 10 kHz, Indentation axis: 30 µN RMS noise, 1 N force range, Lateral axes: 10 µN RMS noise, 0.2 N force range. The SmarTip sensor replaces the standard load sensor. The SmarTip operating as actuator and the SmarTip operating as load sensor can be either on the tip side or the sample side;
- A 3-axis SmarTip electronics box (pre-amplifier);
- Very high performance multifunction I/O boards (up to 1M samples/s for load measurement and displacement generation);
- A powerful high voltage amplifier to activate the SmarTip actuator;
- All mounts, flanges, cables and connectors (Lemo type, high vacuum compatible) for in SEM and in air operation;
- Software modules for signal generation and force measurements.